New Ghost WUI - First Thoughts
I like it a lot - I am very close to loving it!
It is really as simple as I like it!
New Ghost Design
This is what we really want to write about
Ghost has been having a fantastic period of growth over the past eight months.
Because of this, Ghost has been able to recruit more members of its team.
As such, with more developers, the WUI has been improved. Well, not just improved, it has had a complete overhaul; rebuilding from the ground up with knowledge from the developers & users, the Ghosts have worked tirelessly and created a fantastic WUI.
I am pleased to be able to write there is now a search post feature.
A SEARCH POST FEATURE
I have been waiting for this for quite some time.
When dealing with anywhere up to thirty posts in development at any one time, you have a lot to search through.
I do have a few issues with the search feature:
- I wish it had intelligent field tags, such as:
- Title: <...>
- Date: dd/mm/yy or dd/mm/yyyy
- Staus: <Preview>, <Published> or <Unpublished>
- Contains: <...>
- Tag: <tag>, <tag>, <tag>...
- DateBefore: dd/mm/yy or dd/mm/yyyy
- DateAfter: dd/mm/yy or dd/mm/yyyy
- Author: <Author Name>
It is a real shame the original dashboard or command panel is not going to be realised.
John told us to use Geckboard.
I have trialled Geckoboard - I like it a lot.
I am not very keen on the cost involved with the Gecokboard. If I were using the Geckoboard with a website that created north of ten thousand pounds per month, I would entertain the use of Geckoboard, but I do not see the cost weighing in properly with MSD in its current stage.
I can see me using Geckoboard or similar in the future for many blogs & websites, but it is not something I am willing to deploy unless it is a development version that I can deploy to me development & developmental websites - there is a difference!
I am looking for a way to convince the creators of Geckoboard to take me on as a tester & let me install Geckoboard on my web sites.
I will let you all know how this goes.
More on Ghost
All of the settings sub systems have been nicely laid out in the same area as the rest of the tools & options for manipulating the blog posts & blog settings.
Collapsible, the toolbox bar side area is now a nice clean feature that can be removed on smaller displays or when showcasing the WUI to clients, family or friends; making that extra bit more flexible to make it look & feel special.
Cleaner & Lighter
The clearer, leaner, lighter, brighter WUI has made for a more pleasant human-computer interaction (HCI) which increases productivity & user-friendliness of the Ghost WUI.
Updated today, 3rd September 2015 @ 17:08 (according to when my blog was updated), the Ghost WUI is superb - it really is.
Well done to the Ghosts, I am proud of the work you have done. Keep going and we will keep paying, for now:
- Search feature
- Clinical clear WUI
- Improved navigational bar
- Improved content representation
- Improved speed of WUI delivery
I am very close to loving this WUI. Fix the below issues and it will be love at second iteration.
Sorry Ghosts, it is lovely, but there are still a few niggles:
- The death of the proposed/promised command panel
- The lack of intelligent field tags in the search feature
- Still a lack of queuing posts for future publishing
- Still a lack of a publishing list
A little list for the Ghosts to fix, the least I can do:
- No command panel, solution is Geckoboard
- Package Geckboard with Ghost Pro
- Build-in intelligent field tags in the search feature
- Finish the ongoing developments of the queuing posts for future publishing
- Build the separate automated publishing list and include a link in the improved navigational bar